How to Use PS4 Controller on Windows PC?
Windows and Xbox controllers go hand in hand in terms of compatibility and usability. Both Microsoft products can easily connect and enhance the experience of PC gamers.
But have you ever tried using a PS4 controller with a PC? Many players want to know how to use PS4 controllers on Windows. With basic hardware and Windows DS4 software support, you can do it.
Before continuing, find out about the main software, the Windows DS4 program.
What is the Windows DS4 program?
You need a portable program that connects DualShock 4 controllers from your PlayStation to your Windows PC. The program is called DS4 Windows.
It is portable, free to download and runs on all Windows operating systems. You can enjoy more accessible games when you connect PS4 controllers to your PC with Windows DS4.
Regardless of how you connect it - USB or Bluetooth - a PS4 controller requires DS4 setup to work effectively on Windows.
That said, let's see how to connect PS4 controllers to your Windows PC in different ways.
1. Install DS4 Windows and connect via USB
An open source tool such as Windows DS4 is the best way to connect a PS4 controller in Windows 10. This tool allows you to connect your DualShock 4 PS4 controllers to Windows 10 in a few simple steps.
The first thing to do is to download the Windows DS4 software from an online source. Click on the link below.
In addition to Windows DS4, you will need additional support software on your Windows PC. If you connect the PS4 controller to Windows 7, you must download and install the Xbox 360 Controller driver.
To download the Xbox 360 Controller driver (for Windows 7 only)
Then you must install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. This is a compatible update from Microsoft, which allows Windows to install devices without an Internet connection.
To download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
Download and install the software and follow the steps below to connect the PS4 controller to a Windows PC with the DS4 installation on Windows.
- Get a micro-USB cable
- Connect it to the DualShock 4 controller
- Connect the controller to one of your PC's USB ports
- Use the USB 3.0 port for better connectivity
- Open the Windows DS4 installation file
- Go to the Controllers tab
- You will find the PS4 DualShock 4 controller in the list
- If you do not see it, remove and reconnect the controller to the USB port.
- Now go to the Settings tab
- Check the box "Hide the DS4 controller"
That's it. You have successfully connected the PS4 controller to your Windows PC using the Windows DS4 installation.
2. Pair PS4 Controller with Bluetooth
There is another way to connect the PS4 controller to a Windows computer. You can use the Bluetooth setup and use the PS4 controller on your PC wirelessly.
This is the best way to use the PS4 controller on Windows. If your PC has a robust Bluetooth configuration, use it to meet your PlayStation game needs.
- Turn on the built-in Bluetooth receiver on your Windows PC
- You can also connect a Bluetooth adapter dongle via USB
- Now, hold down the PS and Share buttons on your DualShock 4 controller.
- Hold it for 3 seconds
- The light bar on your controller flashes
- Now go to the taskbar on your Windows desktop
- Click the balloon to open Action Center.
- Here, go to Bluetooth and select Wireless Controller
- Type "0000" (four zeros) as the pairing code to connect the controller
Your PS4 DualShock controller is now wirelessly connected to your PC. Then you can install DS4 Windows and open it. Go to the Controllers tab to see the device connected to your PC.
3. Use PS4 Controller with Steam
To make the gaming experience complete on all platforms, Steam developers have added integrated support for Windows DS4. Therefore, you can change the Steam settings to use the PS4 controller with a PC.
You can select the DualShock 4 controller as the default controller on Steam. Here's how you do it -
- Connect the controller via USB or Bluetooth
- Open Steam on your Windows PC
- Click on the Steam menu tab
- Go to the settings and click on the controller menu
- Here, go to the general settings of the controller
- Click PS4 Configuration Support
- Select the DS4 controller as the default device
- Now go back to Steam and resume the game
So this simple steps you can connect and use PS4 controllers to your Windows computer. If you are a PC player who likes to use DualShock 4 controllers, share your experience in the comments below.